Pre-professional Ballet Programme
The programme concentrates on technique and skill development. This includes Classical Ballet, Pas de Deux, Variations, Repertoire, Pointe Work, Contemporary, Improvisation, Spanish and Character Dance, Music, Theory and Performance. We are also mindful of the young dancers’ fitness to dance and our programme includes strength and conditioning classes, as well as Pilates.
Classical ballet makes up the major component of the courses studied and is based on the Vaganova method of training, which is considered the finest syllabus for classical ballet.
- Graduate from YBWA Pre-Professional Dance programme ready for tertiary training or apprenticeships with dance companies.
- Access to high-quality performance opportunities at professional venues and in front of large audiences.
- Benefit from international exposure due to our ongoing relationships with European ballet schools and companies.
- Participate in exclusive masterclasses lead by internationally recognized coaches, teachers and choreographers.
- Gain academic qualifications that provide pathways to broader opportunities.
- Train in a unique, purpose-built, state of the art facility.
- Together all aspects offer an ideal environment for young, academically empowered dancers to grow and develop.
- We strive to be the foremost pre-professional ballet school in Western Australia and the first choice for exceptionally talented and motivated young people passionate about dance. Our focus is to provide our students with a world-class education that will lead them to the best opportunities for building a professional career in dance.
The primary focus of the Foundation Programme is to provide our young boys and girls with the fundamentals of ballet, often working on the floor to focus on alignment, strength and flexibility and to develop a love for this art form. Foundation students do not necessarily need to have done much ballet before but have a natural, inquisitive nature and desire to dance combined with the physical attributes to assist with technique required of classical ballet dancers.
Following the Foundation B Programme students can either transition via invitation or audition into the Full-Time Programme, Year 1, or continue into the Junior 1st program for after-school students. Age is only used as a guide when placing students into these levels, and ongoing coaching and feedback monitor appropriate student placement and progression.
Throughout the year our students are provided with the opportunity to perform solo classical variations, Contemporary and Spanish performances, Classical Ballet Repertoire Excerpts and full-scale Classical Ballet performances at venues such as the Crown Theatre and His Majesty's Theatre. These performance opportunities provide our students with crucial on-stage experience to develop both technical and artistic qualities.
YBWA aims to aid our students to realise their full potential whilst assisting with confidence, resilience and self-value fostering positive self-esteem and mental health.
Academic Schooling is provided through SIDE (School of Isolated and Distance Education), with qualified teachers on site to assist at the YBWA premises.
Throughout the year all our foundation and after school students are provided with the opportunity to perform in Classical Ballet Repertoire Excerpts and full-scale Classical Ballet performances at venues such as the Crown Theatre and His Majesty's Theatre, Contemporary and Spanish performances, classical variations and corp de ballet repertoire parent viewings.
(Ages 8 to 11)
Foundation A - 3 days per weekFoundation B - 3 days per week(8 to 10 hours per week)
(Ages 11 to 18)
8:30am to 4:30pm, 5 days per week inclusive of academic schooling.